Monday, April 06, 2009

Holy Monday



Ohhh, it been a long journey to get here.

But IT´S SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD TO BE HERE.

I love Spain. I love Europe. I´m hoping to love Morocco too.

I´m with my friend Kim and we are not tired but we have to wake up in a couple of hours to get on the road to take a bus to the ferry to Morocco.

We spent the evening in one of Malaga´s central plazas, eating roasted eggplant and drinking several glasses of delicious 2 Euro wine. And eating chocolate cake with hot chocolate sauce with chocolate chips and chocolate ice cream.

What thesis?

It´s Holy Monday so in the plaza around midnight, the purple people showed up. With candles. And hoods. They carried a ¨trono¨float with Jesus on it. In the distance we saw another trono that looked like a giant wedding cake with candles on it. We think it was Mary. There was a kind of showdown between the two tronos when they reached an intersection of two streets at the same time. Lots of heaving and hefting. I thought one trono was going to ram the other. There was no jousting, but Jesus definitely won.

Every day different tronos get carried around the city while dirges play. We´re tempted to stick around... But there´s a Sufi music festival in Fez and that´s an even greater pull. It´s impossible to pass up whirling dervishes. And I want to ride a camel.

1 Comments:

Blogger shokufeh said...

Sounds like a great trip already. (mmm, chocolate....) I hope your trip is magnificent and that your birthday is very happy!

April 06, 2009 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home