Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Oprah 2008...



Yesterday I spent most of the New Zealand afternoon and evening in front of the television, watching the US election returns as they came in. Everyone in the hostel gave their condolences as it became clear that we were going to have four more years of George W. Maybe I've been outside of the US for so long that I can't understand the choices made there anymore. If I can't understand home, how can friends and family at home understand what's going on in the world outside? There needs to be a little more mutual education going on.

So, I'm going to make an effort to sit down and write on a regular basis. I've got notebooks full of notes on the last several months, and maybe I can play a little catch up on all the things that happened in China, Australia, and New Zealand... That's the optimist speaking. The realist knows that the only way to sit and write about everything is to get locked in a dark room for several months. That's not likely to happen so I'll just have to be more disciplined from now on. You all hve permission to give me a hard time if I don't keep up with the postings.

Yesterday at the Cadbury factory in Dunedin, I saw a chocolate waterfall and learned that the average US citizen eats 13 kilos (28.6 lbs.) of chocolate annually. Plans for today are to avoid television news coverage, look for penguins at sunset, and eat at least double my daily chocolate ration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home