Friday, March 09, 2007

Thank you, whoever you are...



I don't know who you are, but I want to thank you.

It wasn't until this morning when I was getting ready to go out that I noticed my wallet wasn't in my bag. Or my coat. Or under the bed. Or in the living room. Or on the kitchen table. It was nowhere.

Where was the last place I had used it? The bank to deposit a check? The library to pay overdue fines? Tealounge. That was the place. To buy a mug of hot chai and read the day's news.

Maybe I left my little green wallet on the counter. Maybe it fell out of my bag or my coat pocket. Or maybe I set it down on the table or the seat and forgot to pick it up again.

Anyways, it was gone.

I almost had a heat attack when I looked at the activity in my checking account. OH MY GOD! A spending spree at Macy's and Old Navy... Oh wait, those charges are from last week. That was me. No new charges after all.

I called Tealounge, hoping maybe they would have some good news. Not expecting it, just hoping. It's New York after all.

The woman who answered the phone sounded dubious. "A wallet?" Endless pause. "What did it look like?" Another endless pause. "Oh yeah, there's one that looks like that."

I ran over to the cafe. Thousands of children and their strollers filled the place doing a sing-along.

The guy behind the counter brought out my wallet. The wallet you turned in. Inside was my driver's license, student ID, transit pass (expired, but you didn't know that), library card, and cash. All there, watched over by a Virgin of Guadalupe prayer card stuck in a transparent pocket.

The woman beside me in line couldn't believe it, amazed that someone turned in a wallet, money and all. I left a big tip in the jar for the barristas.

Thank you, whoever you are. You are a good person.

3 Comments:

Blogger shokufeh said...

Lucky you!
Coincidentally, one of Google's how to's of the day is "How to Deal With Losing Your Wallet."
http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Losing-Your-Wallet
Did you write it? It reads suspiciously like what you did.

March 09, 2007 3:30 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

LOVE OUR NEIGHBORHOOD (and your good karma, obviously)!!!!

March 10, 2007 9:53 PM  
Blogger Sugarless said...

I'm very, very happy that someone turned it in!

March 13, 2007 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home