Monday, May 02, 2005

Exhaustion

So tired after another 50 kilometers or so of walking up and down the streets and back alleys of Rome. We didn't see the Pope. No big surprise there, although I read on the AP wire that we stood in the same place as the Pope today. We visited Pope John Paul II's tomb in the morning and Benedict XVI visited a few hours later. Maybe he was there, paying his respects, we walked through a nearby neighborhood, observing the creative grafitti on posters celebrating his election to Popedom.

We saw lots of big things today. Colossal buildings. Colossal paintings. Scuptures. Big stuff. By the time we got to the enormous Pantheon building, it seemed small and plain. "Ah, seen bigger. With more gold." Sad state of things when you find yourself dismissive of the Pantheon.

5 Comments:

Blogger shokufeh said...

The area around the Pantheon was one of my favorites - there was a great gelato place nearby that I would visit at least once a day, sometimes more. Each visit, I would get several scoops, different flavors. I gained much weight, but enjoyed getting there.

May 04, 2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Why oh why are you reading Dan Brown when there are so many unread books in the world? Surely you have not read everything but his books!? Please stop reading pulp crap now.

I loved the Pantheon. I believe I tried to go in with gelato on my 17th birthday. Also, are you not reenacting "Roman Holiday?" Or are you not so much on the Audrey Hepburn? But we went to see "Breakfast at Tiffany's" together at the CAC...

OK, I am rambling. Miss you. Send me gelato!

May 04, 2005 9:49 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

We tasted our fair share of gelato. Maybe when we go back with the parents I'll get a cone that is nothing but chocolate instead of having to pick various flavors that are delicious, but not as heavenly as the chocolate...

Ms. Nola, I'm enjoying the pulp crap! :D Don't worry too much - I'll pick up the Tim Parks book again as soon as the pulp is finished. One thing I'll say in Dan Brown's favor is that he makes relive all my favorite art history classes. That counts for something.

Stuck my hand in the Mouth of Truth and thought, "Audrey and Gregory Peck stood here...." Reliving the movie in small little bursts. Need to see it again to relive it better. But now I'm in Switzerland so it's time to run across mountain meadows and spin in circles a la Julie Andrews.

Gelato to you. Tiramisu?

May 05, 2005 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of gelato- in Paris try some at a place where they shape it into a rose blossom. Each petal can be a different flavor. Here's a link to the place & see a pic of the rose cone at the bottom. I was partial to the nutella flavor. http://www.amorino.fr/index.htm

May 05, 2005 6:25 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

Oooooooooh - thanks for the desert tip! Nutela has been an obsession lately. In less than a month we went through four jars of it in Greece.

May 06, 2005 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home