Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Furniture Advice



Last week I started a new job. For the past 10 days I have been a furniture restorer. We've been working on a lot of furniture that was damaged in the Katrina flooding. It's amazing what can be done to bring back antiques made of solid wood.

Working on a piece of furniture can be exciting. The mold and the white filmy shellac disappear and the beauty of the wood reemerges. Sometimes it can be frustrating. It may take hours sitting in a cramped position to get that friggin shellac and waxy overcoat off the wood.

The most important thing I have learned is this: if you are sending your furniture to be restored, check it carefully. If it contains secret drawers, remove the contents of those secret places. Due to the nature of the job, the people working on your furniture will find the secret places. They will see the naked pictures.

Remember that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just now remembered where I put the film from my adventures in a Morotsuka cabin... thanks.

December 15, 2005 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home