Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Escape From the Black Hole



So, I got sucked into a black hole and though it's possible to escape (regardless of what those physicists say) it's not an easy thing to do.

What's been going on for the past several months? The short version is this: went to school full-time for the spring semester to take some additional undergraduate English classes, worked a lot at the same time, applied to graduate school, had a car accident, hosted a Tibetan Momo party when Chris was in town, started selling and giving away a chunk of my book collection, played with friends' babies, went back to work full-time, and packed a hurricane evacuation box.

Currently I'm dressing up as a construction worker every night to go paint special finishes in a not-yet-completed hotel/restaurant. It's a hard hat area so people working inside have to have on proper safety gear. I look like a lego person in my red hard hat and yellow safety harness.

One big change is that I'm moving back to Manhattan in September to go to grad school. Instead of spending all my time in the Village like I did when I lived in NY for college, I'll be spending my time way Uptown, north of Central Park. Graduate school is near St. John the Divine Cathedral and I'll be staying with an old friend from high school who lives up in the heights. Not sure which heights exactly, Morningside Heights, Hamilton Heights, Washington Heights... one of those heights. Hopefully it will be a more tree-filled NY experience. Riverside Park runs all the way from the apartment to school. Grey skies and 17 snowstorms in one winter drove me from the city the last time. That was the escape from the slushy grey hole.

The master's program I'm entering is Museum Education with middle school teaching certification. There is one year of course work, and then a year spent interning at a museum and student teaching. I've been thinking about doing this for years so it's kind of amazing that it's finally happening.

That's all the lighter news to escape from the black hole for now.

4 Comments:

Blogger shokufeh said...

Yay! An entry!
Somehow, I'd misssed that your degree will focus on museum education.
I'm curious to know what's in your hurricane evacuation box.

June 29, 2006 1:19 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I, too, didn't realize that you were focusing on museum education. Can't wait for you to move to NYC! You'll have to spend the night if you come to my house for dinner and/or vice versa. Washington Heights and Park Slope are rather far from one another. Yippee for your return!

July 03, 2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

Thanks ladies! It's good to be back on-line. I'll try not to disappear into the museum education vortex when I get to NY. I hear they have one at the Musuem of Natural History.

July 04, 2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Museum education! I guess you never can leave the field after all...I know the director of ed at the NY Hall of Science if you need me to put you in touch with her. She's our age and very together. Also, my brother works as the house manager at the cathedral (St. John the Divine) so if you are looking for work as an usher (it's fun, you get to see shows for free, and it pays well) just let me know. There also was a great (part-time) job at Barnard. I would have loved it, if we lived in the City...

August 29, 2006 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home