Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Joy of Art






When I was a kid, I used to amuse myself for hours playing with books with detailed drawings of towns and busy streets. I don't remember the content of a single Richard Scary book but I can remember disappearing into the images and imagining what shops the mouse family were going to enter and what they would say to the nearby worm or pig children.

Once upon a time, traveling by train from Mumbai to Delhi, there was a British woman, Nic, in the berth below mine who shared a love of paintings that could be disappeared into. I don't remember how we figured that out, it might have been in a store, searching through stacks of Rajasthani miniature paintings.

This week I've spent a lot of time looking at the website of Paolo, an Italian artist. We met years ago in Mexico but I didn't had a chance to see his art until now.

There is something about his paintings that is magic. The colors... the twisting of the lines... I fall into the images and stay there. It's a good place to be.

Grazie, Paolo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home