Friday, October 27, 2006

Torture



I must kill it.

There has been an explosion in the population of mosquitoes. Maybe it's all the rain. Or maybe the recent fluctuations in temperature have driven them indoors. For the past three hours there has been a mosquito plaguing me inside our house. It hasn't bitten, it just does loud buzzing flybys.

Earlier this week there was a mosquito that kept me awake for a couple of hours, long after I wished to be asleep. It's an effective form of torture.

Exhausted, I was just falling off into dreams when the buzzing hit my ear. Couldn't find the mosquito anywhere once the lights were on. I tried to get back to sleep, again entering dreamland when the little monster reappeared in my ear. For the next two hours the mosquito would come back every twenty minutes or so.

The popcorn textured wall and ceiling surfaces of houses built in the 70's are unfortunate for many reasons, but my biggest complaint is the bumpy surface's ability to camouflage a buzzing enemy.

The other night I think I finally managed to kill the mosquito in the dark, clapping sleepily above my head the last time I heard it buzz. Never found the body, but there was a little wing next to my pillow when I woke up.

Normally I'm not a killer.

I leave stinging caterpillars alone. I once caught a problem mouse and put it outside in the woods. Same thing with a snake that wandered into the kitchen. Giant huntsman spiders can cohabitate as long as they don't get too friendly. Jumping spiders are welcome to get a lot closer. Roaches... have to go outside but don't get squished. A little passive poison perhaps (though I feel bad about it). But no mosquito's. If they could just keep out of my ears they would live. Don't cross me when I'm trying to sleep.

The one that's flying around right now moves in zigzags. It's a good adaptation for eluding a smashing pair of hands. My hands actually hurt from all the unsuccessful smashing they are doing. Evil little mosquito.

I am going to get you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I'm not exactly ready for the cold weather yet, but I certainly am glad that we aren't dealing with mosquitos anymore in Missouri.

November 01, 2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

Oh how great it would be to suddenly find that Louisiana was mosquito free!
We need to borrow some of your Missouri cold weather.

November 01, 2006 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home