Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Menu



Once again, it is book group eve, and I have not yet finished this month's book. It seems to be a pattern. Last month I finished The Secret History exactly one and a half hours before book group started.

This month the book is my pick, so it's kind of bad form not to finish reading. The problem is not that the book isn't interesting. M.F.K. Fisher's The Gastronomical Me fascinates. There is no plot. The book creates a loose chronology of the author's fond memories of food and life.
It seems to me that our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so mixed and mingled and entwined that we cannot straightly think of one without the others. - M.F.K. Fisher
Part of the reason I still haven't finished reading is that I was at the grocery store late tonight, making selections. At book group, food is probably more important than the month's reading selection. The book picker is also the food provider for the evening.

What to serve when the book is all about great meals and tastes?

I'm going with old favorites. Our appetizer will be guacamole (heavy on the lemon, garlic, and cayenne pepper) with tortilla chips. Next is spinach salad (live dangerously!) sprinkled with toasted almonds, blue cheese, strawberries, and a poppy seed dressing. It's not meant to be a green theme, but the entre will coincidently be green in color. Rotini pasta with fresh pesto Genovese, pine nuts, grated Parmesan, and grape tomatoes. Desert is sesame seed dumplings drizzled with honey. To drink, we'll have a selection of beverages, but the special offer will be mango-banana lassis.

I don't know how well all these tastes will go together. With a Mexican appetizer, American salad, Italian main course, Tibetan desert and Indian drink... it will be interesting. I will like it. I hope the combination agrees with everyone else's palates.

8 Comments:

Blogger shokufeh said...

Sounds good to me! I feel kind of bad that I haven't even yet started the book, but feel better reading that you suggested it but haven't finished it.

November 02, 2006 12:20 AM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

98 pages to go!

November 02, 2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

MMMMMMMMM. I wish I could come. I, too, notoriously never finish book club books. Such is life. Your feast sounds wonderful. Have a great time!

November 02, 2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

Glad to know that not finishing the book is not a phenomenon isolated to our group alone. Tonight the only person in our group who had time to finish the book was unable to come. Oh well... it's all about the food right?

If you have a blender in Brooklyn, I can make you some banana-mango goodness sometime. Or we could make snow ice cream. If it snows.

November 02, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I have a food processor! Maybe one of the roommates has a blender.... if not I believe an investment should be made. . . YAY! When are you coming?

November 03, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

I will be in New York for a week starting next Friday. Less than a week to wait! So mango-banana goodness very soon. Another possibility is that your whole family could have some Thanksgiving week in NOLA. My blender can take the ferry across the river to the French Quarter.

November 03, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Excellent possibilities all around. Do you want to go see "Volver" while you are in NYC? What shall we do!?

November 03, 2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

Volver sounds great. Or if there are still showings of The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D... I couldn't bring myself to drive to Baton Rouge to catch it here.

Or, I'm DYING (DYING I tell you!!!) to go to karaoke at a karaoke box in mid-town - true Japanese style. It's been much too long since I last sang "Bicylce Race" or "Wham! Rap" with the empty orchestra.

That is my New York visit dream. That... and eating Ethiopian food. Or savoring chocolate mousse cake at Veniero's.

Take your pick.

November 04, 2006 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home