Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Hunch



There's an empty lot near where I work that always gives me the creeps. No one is around and the grass grows long. The area is a failed subdivision with a couple of streets that pass through, hedged in by the overgrowth. Sometimes there are abandoned cars that have been left to rot. I ended up driving through those streets once. It was a Shakespearean moment, "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." I sped out of there. It seemed like the kind of place where bodies are dumped.

Tonight as our work crew drove off to our job site, we passed the creepy place and saw yellow crime scene tape and police cars. Detectives were prowling around in the field. We didn't know what was going on, but I could guess.

Hours later when I got home from work, I asked my father if he'd watched the news. He had. "Were any bodies found in a field today?" Yes. He wanted to know how I knew that.

The hair on the back of my neck told me so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home