Friday, November 03, 2006

Sloth Time



This hectic week has come to an end. Thank god.

I have a habit of getting involved in a lot of little things, all commitments that seem innocuous at first. Taken individually, they are quite harmless and non-time-consuming. But they multiply.

It's like going to the 100 yen shop in Japan. Things are cheap, only 100 yen ($.84). Maybe the reason for going into the store is to buy one particular 100 yen item. But it's so easy to keep throwing things in the basket because, hey, it's cheap. 100 yen shops in Japan are not like the crappy dollar stores in the US. They actually sell useful, sometimes beautiful, well-made things. Once the basket is full and the cash register rings up the total, suddenly the quest for an $.84 plastic binder has led to the purchase of $25 or more worth of other little goodies.

At least that's what always happened with me.

This week I was over-ambitious with how much could be done in a finite amount of time. This is not something new. But this week it was extreme. I ended up half-doing a lot of things because there wasn't enough time to go around. That never feels good.

My goal is to be slightly slothful this weekend. Even if it is only for a couple of hours, I want to sit and feel pressured to do absolutely nothing. I want an empty basket.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

so your stress buster is an empty basket?

mine is an empty seat . . .

glad to find another NaBloPoMo participant who's giving this thing a fair go

November 04, 2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

Good luck to you this month! I'm feeling so relaxed with that empty basket today that I may post twice.

November 04, 2006 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home