Monday, November 03, 2008

Beastin'



It started with a crash. Glass smashing somewhere in the apartment.

I went to see what had happened, thinking something in my room had tipped over and knocked over a glass. Nope. Nothing broken in my room. Nothing broken in the living room.

Then I noticed a squirrel in the bathroom. He seemed to have slid in the top of the cracked open window and knocked the glass candle holder into the tub, causing the shattering noise.

I squealed and shut the door. Went around to the fire escape and opened the window so the squirrel could get out.

But he didn't want to go out.

The super came up and tried to get it out with a broom. Based on his behavior I'd say he's a sadistic man. He laughed and stabbed the frightened squirrel with the end of the broom. The squirrel screamed. I screamed too and made the super get out of the apartment.

The city agencies I talked to said they wouldn't come out on squirrel calls.

My roommate came home and said the bucket I'd set up as a pee station was not going to cut it and started making more phone calls to city agencies.

How many police officers does it take to capture a squirrel in a bathroom? Two in the bathtub, one in front of the toilet (behind which the squirrel has wedged itself), and one officer in the hallway as backup.

They emerged triumphant with the squirrel in the have-a-heart humane trap I'd run out to get at the hardware store. They said they'd take the squirrel to some rehab people and let them decide if its injuries from the super could be treated.

The bathroom was a disaster with broken glass, fur, and water everywhere. The toilet was leaking a steady stream of water. It's almost midnight and now things are finally back to normal. It's been a very very long six hours.

Poor squirrel.

2 Comments:

Blogger shokufeh said...

That's quite the Monday night adventure. I think I would not have dealt with it so well. It would probably ended up with me being taken away, instead of the squirrel.

November 03, 2008 11:37 PM  
Blogger Sugarless said...

Your Super is on my crap list. Poor wee squirrel.

If it happens again, try leaving treats outside the window. You can call me - I speak squirrel.

November 21, 2008 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home