Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Public Service Announcement



Right now the trunk of the car is filled with newspapers. This has become common event in the last year. Recycling was another casualty of the storm and friends from all over the city pass on their newspapers since I live within a couple of miles of a newspaper recycling bin. I worry what will happen once I go to New York and this impromptu newspaper recycling service ends.

The friends will not throw away the newspapers. Possibly their houses will fill up with bags and bags of the stuff and in the interest of preventing their homes from going up in newspaper fed flames, or being over-run by rodents who find newsprint to be good nesting material, here's some local newspaper recycling info.

Since I've been the newspaper recycling enabler, it feels like time to empower friends to take over their own newspaper recycling destinies. I did enjoy it though, the feeling of saving trees...

Westbankers can take newspapers to the recycling bin in the parking lot at Aurora United Methodist Church. For the friends who do not like to cross the Mississippi River (you don't know what you're missing) it's possible to take papers to The Green Project in the 9th Ward or call SP Recycling (504-733-1954)to find a newspaper bin near you.

There's a lot more grassroots recycling going on than you might expect. For more information on where to take recyclables download the New Orleans Area Recycling Guide PDF file.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

2 Comments:

Blogger shokufeh said...

Guilty as charged.
I'd been thinking that I should probably call The Green Project, as I've been thinking of doing for... oh, about six months.
I'll miss your curbside recycling program ;)

December 05, 2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

It has always been my pleasure.

My mom and I went to the Green Project today with some cans of paint. It feels much more like a junkyard there than expected.

December 05, 2006 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home