Saturday, November 03, 2007

Dead Tired



I feel like I've been hit by a bus.

There's a boy I work with, who, admittedly, has his charms, but he is so disruptive and makes me so tired that after we finish for the day, I just want to lay down on the floor of the dirty subway car and curl up in a little ball for the long ride back to Brooklyn. It will take me until tomorrow to recover. I know this from past weeks.

Yesterday, our class photography exhibition went so well. The students enjoyed seeing each other's portraits and adults from throughout the school stopped by to join in the celebration. It made the students in our class feel important and cared about.

I held off on crying until the end, when the kids gave me the present of a surprise series of appreciations. One in particular choked me up, a favorite student who started off struggling and now makes such efforts. His thank you went deep, looking me in the eye and communicating, without needing to put it all into words, that it wasn't just the help with classwork that he appreciated. It was a thank you for letting him know he's a good kid, and a smart kid. Things he hasn't heard enough of in his life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer
I have been reading your posts as well as Shokufeh's.
I have joined the NaBloPoMo and have started blogging -- my first. If you want to catch it, it's at http://nablopomo.ning.com/profile/xingfu
- Parviz Mojgani

November 03, 2007 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home